Before understanding Google algorithms, it is important to know what are the algorithms? Generally, an algorithm is a set of rules that are used in solving problems in a step that has been defined. Now, Google algorithm is no different, it follows the exact same rule but it frequently changes along with time.Google has developed a complex algorithm for searching. Though it is still not public, few elements are there that will impact your search. These are:
- The way the keywords appear on your content page, tags of the meta description, and the tags for the header.
- The performance of your website on the mobile
- The ranking of your website in SERP
- The backlinks that are organic to your site
The major updates of Google Algorithm:
- Google Panda: launched on 24th February 2011, Google Panda is one of the important updates as its work is to examine properly the website based on the quality of the content. If your pages contain content of a higher quality then you will be rewarded a higher position, whereas bad quality will pull you down. A score for the quality is assigned to your webpage and this further acts as a factor for ranking in SERP. The initial function of Google panda was just that of a filter but in 2016 it was fully incorporated into the core algorithm of Google.
Apart from low-quality content, Google panda targets at the thin and duplicate content as well. The algorithm now works in real time and hence the filtering, recovering, etc happens much more quickly than how it worked in the earlier stages. Besides the factors mentioned above, other hazards like stuffing of content with keywords and bad user experience can also affect the Google Panda filtering.
Staying clear of the Google Panda algorithm is a simple task by taking good care of a few things. Mainly, duplicate content should be strictly avoided on your website. Internal content duplication can be avoided by doing regular checks. This can be done by website auditors from trusted sources. The other kind of the duplication, External duplication is equally hazardous. Resources like Copyscape may be used to avoid external problems. Thin content in your website, which means irrelevant, duplicate content is a major hazard to be avoided. When your website is filled with ads and links to external content, it would be termed as thin content.
To sort this hazard properly, we can use the Website auditor program and its page option, where the word count can be managed along with the quality of the content. A clear indication of thin or irrelevant content can be one with lesser amount words and a high number of links included. Website Auditor can also help in avoiding the hazard of keyword stuffing. It is always advisable to solve all the mistakes found in your website content before moving forward. Website Auditor is the best program that can help in all the above-mentioned hazards.
- Google Penguin: this update launched on 24th April 2012 targets those websites that do cloaking and use other spam methods. If your website is bad and contains spam links, then you are on the hit list. To get rid of penguin, remove spam links and maintain a regular backlink audit of the website. This was the development made from Google’s end to avoid the wrong linking practices that happen through too many backlinks being created. They were successful to an extent, in reducing the misuse of backlinking practices being employed in your website. This can help in reducing the spams being created by the process of filling websites with spammed links. These may not be even related to the topic being dealt with in your site. Since its launch, Google Penguin has had a number of upgradation to its functioning.
Just like Google Panda, this algorithm also gained its positions as a core google algorithm since 2016. It’s filtering and processing time has also reduced, leading to much quicker results than before. They find a hazard in the links attached to your website. This can be due to various reasons like links that connect to unrelated topics or that are paid for their services. It is always better to stay clear of too many links being accumulated in your site. There are programs that can check for the unusual link hikes. Thus you can stay clear of unwanted links.
- Google Hummingbird: introduced to the world on 22nd August 2013 it is marked as the change in the history of Google algorithms. It primarily aids in making the search results relevant by turning the interactions more human. You can overcome the effect by expanding the research of the keywords and paying attention to the concept. Even when it was built on the basic structure of a normal Google algorithm, Hummingbird sang in a different rhythm. The algorithm matched more with the user’s intentions. It was as though the thoughts were being read by another human being. This helped in churning out much more related results than those that simply matched with the Keywords.
Hummingbird was Google’s step closer to semantic search culture. It is the searcher’s intent that is considered and prioritized in the case of the Humming bird algorithm. The keywords are considered beyond mere language and merge the meaning intended to the search results produced. The conversational search pattern is also being more supported in the case of the Hummingbird algorithm. This can further go into the data already fed into Google and integrate the search results accordingly. It is found that this algorithm helps you much better than the other algorithms. This is because the total meaning of your entry is taken into consideration rather than focusing on a particular term.
Hummingbird has not created a negative impulse from the users and Google talks highly about the quality it can give out. It is also noted that many websites have lost usually their traffic after the new algorithm got implemented. This is a good sign and shows that Google has definitely cut down on the unrelated websites popping up.
- Google Pigeon: this update effects on those websites that have the page old SEO with on and off. Launched in the year 2014 on 24th July. As a user, you must start focusing on investing in off page SEO. This algorithm bought in a very big change in the local businesses website marketing. Google pigeon introduced local businesses and teams to a wider crowd of users. They could take the locations of every small business with the support of Google maps. This is hence considered big support to the local teams.
The pigeon algorithm helped much with the improvement in local search results since its launch in 2014. But it was found that the local results had many glitches in them. Another noticeable change with Pigeon algorithm is the importance being offered to the local directories that are available online. It started treating the local businesses like any other global chain with ranking and references. This in fact bought in a lot of changes in the transactions being made at regional businesses.
The one major drawback or negative effect of pigeon algorithm may be noticeably the lesser traffic being drawn to the respective websites. Google has now made provisions for its users to access the information they are looking for in much lesser clicks. You can be directly in possession of your requirement from the search result page itself. Most users would not go further into the original website for more data.
- Mobilegeddon: This cannot be simply classified as an algorithm update, rather the introduction of a change in technology. A friendly update whose work is to check the user-friendly attitude of your website towards mobile users. Launched on 21st April 2015, your website requires to follow certain steps to be mobile friendly and the pages need to be optimized. This has got much importance in this world where everything is on the go or rather ‘on the mobile’.
Earlier most websites were not having the ability to be accessed from a mobile device. This was because of their configuration that fitted only access from desktops or any kind of computer systems. Now, you have Mobilegeddon that helps in the display of your website on mobile devices as well as computer systems. This does not reduce the quality or perfection of its display on a computer screen.
Google algorithms have developed dramatically in the last few years, and presently it relies on more than 200 signals that enable you as a user to search the exact thing that you are looking for on the internet. This process initiates with crawling and putting an index on the webpage for which Google and also the other search engines have devised their personal robots commonly known as ‘Googlebot’. These robots generally move from one page of your content to another to examine your content and crawling.
Bakwas Marketing is a digital marketing company in Delhi offering online marketing services to clients based on India and abroad.
Latest posts by John Fernandis (see all)
- Free Digital Marketing Courses Online with Certifications - June 15, 2019
- How to use Twitter to Connect for Link-Building - May 2, 2019
- Importance of External & Internal Linking of Content - April 6, 2019